Monday, October 29, 2012 - , , , , , 0 comments

Un Pedacito de Nicaragua


After the PEPFAR conference in Estelí, some other volunteers and I stayed one more night in the city before heading down to Managua the next day for a country-wide volunteer event. The volunteer leader in Estelí invited some volunteers to her house for a costume party to celebrate Halloween, a holiday that is not celebrated here. I came up with a last minute play-on-words costume (I've been known to be a "killer bee", "eskimo pie" and "black mail" in years past) in Spanish! I was chicha bruja which is the fermented corn drink that was served in mass quantities at the Jalapa corn fest last month...so I dressed as a witch (bruja) with a piece of corn around my neck. No one could guess the costume, but that's ok because once I explained it, everyone smiled.
Our group: frijol (bean), Bat Girl, Christmas Tree (that lit up!), pirate, Jane Goodall, chicha bruja, "Starry Night" and bumble bee.

Checking to make sure that the flash worked...I can never miss a photo opportunity!

Each year, the Small Business Development volunteers from all departments of Nicaragua put on a gala event in Managua to raise funds for a competition that they do with their students. It's a chance to indulge on some good food, stay at a Holiday Inn, network with some PCVs I may otherwise not have had the chance to meet, see some familiar faces, and above all...enjoy a HOT shower and dressing up!
It was a great event for a great cause and I can't wait to go again next year!
Dolores Dream Team (supposed to say "DDT" but our hands were backwards)


Some of the great from Nica 58!

Dancing with fellow Segovianos

0 comments:

Post a Comment