Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 0 comments

Qué Descanse En Paz


When someone passes away, it’s a big deal in Latin America.
The doña passed away Thursday afternoon in her home. She was with her grandsons, sister, doctor, friends and one of her daughters who had flown in from Spain a few days earlier. 
Though this isn’t quite the cultural experience I wanted to ever partake in while being in Nicaragua (death is not a fun experience, no matter where in the world you are), family is a huge part of Latin American culture and I wanted to pay my respects because the moment I walked into her house upon arrival to Jalapa during site visit and beginning my service, she welcomed me into her family and became one of my (many) Nica madres.
The day of, Thursday afternoon, Profe and I attended the Doña’s wake, after going to service at the Catholic church. I'm not an extremely religious person, but I thought it was appropriate to attend the service and keep her family in my thoughts. After the service, we walked to the Doña's house where we sat with at least 100 people, with more coming and going at the same time, many bringing extraordinary bouquets of flowers, and reminisced and supported the family for about 2 hours. We left at 9pm but guaranteed the wake went until at least midnight if not later.
Last night was the “misa”. I’d like to think this was what we recognize as the actual “funeral” in the states. It was at the same Catholic church, a beautiful service, and after it ended, they loaded her casket into a pick up truck and everyone from the service walked behind the truck back to her house for more of a wake. There were at least 150 people there, with more coming in and out when at the home.

Today was the burial. Countless people came. We all met at the house and after putting her casket and many bouquets in the back of the pick up truck, we followed the truck and solemn music to the cemetery. In this picture, Profe and I were maybe in the middle of the pack. Imagine this many people behind us. It’s incredible how such a large community can come together to celebrate the life and mourn the passing over one person. I only dream to have such an impact on even a fraction of the people that came today.
The passing of a loved one is not easy and it was a very tearful event. I said to her sister that this isn't the end. She is no longer in pain, she is in peace and we will cross paths again in the future.
Que descanse en paz, Doña. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment