Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - , , , 0 comments

Happy Mother's Day!

Wait...what?

Mother's Day in Nicaragua is celebrated on the 30th of May each year. I recently found out that it is on this date because it was the birthday of former dictator, Somoza's, mother-in-law. Now you know, too!

The entire month of May celebrates the wonderful people we call our mothers. It is a month of health awareness, such as maternal mortality, the importance of breastfeeding, among other themes as well.

During the month of May, I was able to go to several communities in Jalapa and create murals for the puestos de salud about some of these topics.

"Las Muertes Maternas Se Pueden Evitar": Maternal Mortality is Preventable

"Mural de Lactancia Materna": Breastfeeding Mural

Though I would have liked to have given more charlas this month about these themes, I wasn't able to. ¡Falta! 

Last weekend I was able to go to a meeting for a diabetic group. They invited the nurses and I to their Mother's Day fiesta; the nurses gave flu and pneumonia vaccines and I presented a charla about nutrition. I ideally made the presentation with primary students in mind, but everyone paid attention and I'd like to think they learned something!

Brainstorming on how to better the "Nicaraguan diet"

Even the group's president (in wheelchair) was intrigued by the presentation!

To round out the celebrations, I went to the Casa Materna today to deliver some cookies I made yesterday. Out of the 8 beds, 4 were taken and I got to talk with the soon-to-be madres a little, too. I was asking what they would like to see in the future: activities, charlas, etc. They like to cook, so I might bring some ingredients and have a cooking class; some like to read, so I'm going to try and get my hands on some books for adults and children (seeing as how some of them are already mothers); they would like to learn yoga and English, so I might start teaching basic English vocabulary there, too. I will also create more maternal charlas and present them and I am hoping to go there at least once or twice a week. Yay! A plan!

I'd like to end this post by wishing a very Happy Mother's Day to my beautiful mama in the states and my wonderful madrecita here in Nicaragua; as well as Profe who has welcomed me into her home and family. You ladies are the best!



Will get a picture with the Profe sometime in the next two years! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment