Monday, February 3, 2014 - 0 comments

Más Allá del Oro, Part 2

Back in June last year, my counterpart and I put together a half marathon. It was a great success and everyone was eager to do another one right away instead of wait an entire year.

Originally, we were planning on having the event in December, but due to graduations at the primary schools and institutes, Purísima, Christmas, New Year's and everything in between, everyone was extremely busy and not have been able to participate. Instead, we decided to do it in January.

We got the word out via local radio and television, as well as thru the Peace Corps Nicaragua network (via Facebook and email).

Overall, we had about 40 runners, more than last time! Some Peace Corps Volunteers were able to come up and participate as well as students from the ISLA brigade who was in town. What impressed me the most is how many people signed up and ACTUALLY ran the half marathon distance. In June, we only had 2 Nicas, my Nica counterpart, and 8 PCVs. This time, we had 11 Nicas (including my counterpart) and 7 PCVs/students.

We got medals donated from a local jewelry store, raffle prizes donated from Thorlos and RoadID (who also donated bibs and "swag" bags) and some pretty awesome shirts made for the event.


On the way back from dropping off the runners at the Honduran border (we mapped out a different route this time around, having them start 21km from the OTHER direction of Jalapa and finishing the race winding in and out of the city), while passing some of the 10km participants already running towards Jalapa, I heard the bus driver say "This is such a new idea, I wonder if it'll grow in the future."

Sustainability. That's what (some of) my job as a Peace Corps volunteer is all about, promoting sustainability. Though the half marathon was my last project as a Peace Corps Volunteer (WHAT?!), I will be supporting my counterpart from the US in the future half marathons he puts on in Jalapa, however I can. Who knows, maybe in a short time, I'll come back and be able to run in the event!

PICTURES CAN BE FOUND HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment