Sunday, March 31, 2013 - , , , 0 comments

Just Some Pictures...

I've been quite the shutterbug recently and thought I'd share some pictures from around Jalapa and what I've been up to.
Laundry Day!

My "laundry machine". Handwash only!

Visiting the neighborhood of "Tierra Prometida" (The "Promise Land") with a Red Cross volunteer.

Chele, our house cat, has a new favorite place to sleep: in MY kitchen! At least he keeps the mice away...

Last week was Semana Santa, the holy week...or as many look at it: Spring Break! Before my host mom, Profe, went to San Carlos with the rest of her family to visit her daughter, we made LOTS of bread. It was so yummy, I hope they enjoyed it!

Profe mixing the "masa" (5 lbs cheese, 5 lbs corn...OH THE CALORIES!) with fresh cow's milk.


Getting my hands dirty. With a girl from the brigade from Colorado!

Future model in the house!

"Palmear"-ing the dough to get out lumps

"Rosquill-ympics"

Empanadas (Nicas call them "quesadillas") before going into the oven.

Final products! Soooo yummy!

Mazápan. Sweet bread.

Back of the oven

Front of the oven...making a little cake with leftover batter.

The start of Semana Santa is on Palm Sunday and continues thru Easter Sunday. I went to church with another Profe and some people from the Colorado brigade to see what it was all about. We all met the procession at the entrance to the city and then walked, sang hymns, raised the palms, and eventually wound up at the church for an hour long mass.

Start of the procession.

Cowboy Jesus riding a burro! The cowboy hat was a very "Jalapeño" touch. I love it.

Alter boys leading the procession to the church.

Full house, standing room only. People were also sitting/standing in the wings toward the front of the church.

During Semana Santa, some of the hottest temperatures of the year occur. A LOT of people go to the beaches, lakes, rivers, and other bodies of water to cool off. Since lots of people usually means lots of robberies, violence and alcohol, I decided to take the alternative, tranquilo route and just stay in Nueva Segovia. 
My friend and I went on a 7-mile hike to his first host family's finca (property) to see the water project his host dad was working on. It was REALLY HOT...but such a beautiful hike. Tell you what, the cold bucket bath I took upon return was one of the best baths I've taken here. 

We rewarded ourselves with iced coffee in Ocotal that afternoon...Ocotal has a café now! Watch out, world.

Views of Mozonte/Achuapa valley

Finally arrived to the finca!

River water that Tito uses to water his plants year-round

So refreshing!






0 comments:

Post a Comment