Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - , , , , , , , , , , , , 0 comments

1 Charla. 10 Communities. 2 Days.


Talk about keeping busy! On Friday last week, all my colega told me was to be at the centro at 7:30 in the morning sharp and bring my presentation about family planning. Little did I know where we were going and what the day was going to consist of!

The goal of our visits was to give a family planning, signs of danger during pregnancy/birth, and early stimulation presentation to pregnant women at the different puestos de salud (“health posts”). I was in charge of the family planning portion, using my charla about the importance of planning as well as discussing the different methods of contraceptives. My colega then discussed the latter topics. Some of the soon-to-be mothers were under the age of 18, some as young as 15, and others already had children and were pregnant with their second child; and others were mothers who had appointments at the puestos.

On Monday, we went to five different communities.

El Limón

Santa Barbara

La Mia

Santa Clara

Tastaslí

We provided refrigerios (“snacks”) to those who attended the presentation, and yet we forgot our own lunches! Luckily, my main colega was kind enough to share her lunch with everyone: we all got a tortilla with scrambled eggs (and for everyone else, black beans…ever since my bout in training, I have sworn off black beans. No gallo pinto for this gringa!). This is usually the custom for MINSA outings: everyone brings enough food to share and it’s a potluck style lunch. The rest of us were able to nab a refrigerio but were very hungry, thirsty and TIRED by the time the day was done. It was a long 10-hour day…and little did I know we were about to do it again on Tuesday!

Good Morning, Tuesday! We were all smart enough to bring our lunches and it was even one of the enfermera’s birthday! We went to five more communities to give the same charla five more times. Lest to say, I’m pretty sure the 6 of us are all well-rounded on family planning, signs of danger and early stimulation.

Teotecacinte

Tauquil 
(We forgot to take the camera out of the ambulancia, so I got a quick self portrait for evidence with my iPod touch!)

Solonlí

Waiting for everyone to get back to the ambulancia before heading to the last 2 communities

Chuslí 
(One of the nurses took a shot at giving the charla during this visit and I got to rest just a teeny bit)

Nuevo Amanacer


Texting! A Nica/US pasttime that we can all appreciate.

It was another long day, but I got more comfortable giving the charla in front of various amounts of pregnant women (and some soon-to-be fathers!); you kind of have to when you give it this many times! We gave the disclaimer that I’m still learning my Nicaraguan Spanish and it may be hard to understand my foreign accent, but after my part of the presentation, the ladies were all attentive and when asked about different methods of family planning, they were able to correctly answer the questions. During the presentation, I was able to make the ladies giggle a little bit, too! Cross cultural humor integration: Success!

This morning, I went to the Casa Materna to give a presentation about STIs and HIV/AIDS, since today is National HIV Testing day in the US. Two of the nurses came after my presentation to talk to the mothers about early stimulation and signs of danger; I didn't know they were going to come! The madres all learned something and were actively participating when we asked questions. I also gave them the family planning charla without visual aides, but I had given that presentation only a few weeks ago, and the one or two madres who are STILL at the Casa remember what I had told them earlier.
Proof I was there!



Right now there are 13 madres, 12 of which attended the presentation. I asked the CM workers if they have beds for everyone, and they said that the madres are doubling up on the beds. I'm happy that the madres are taking advantage of the House, but they need more space! I'm going to look into maybe doing a project in getting more beds at the House to better accomodate madres in the future.

The 8 beds that are sleeping 13 women. All in one room.

Then there was this guy hanging out above my bag in the doorway. Have no idea what kind of spider/bug it is, but man he's ugly!

As I wrap up this post, I'm heading to the Institute to help out the students with presentations like we did last week, then I'm heading to Managua for the rest of the week for a meeting! I am now part of the HIVaids Task Force, a group of Vols from every sector that supports PCVs in all sectors with training and resources that promote HIVaids awareness and prevention initiatives. Considering this was one of my main objectives of joining the Peace Corps, to work with HIVaids awareness and prevention, I'm very excited to be part of this group!

To those in the US who probably all know of the fires that are destroying my beautiful state of Colorado, and have extra change, please take a moment and donate to the efforts of Red Cross Colorado; I hate seeing the state burn, especially from abroad. I know of several friends and their families who have lost their homes and I can only pray that the situation gets better ASAP.

0 comments:

Post a Comment