Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - , , , , , 0 comments

My First Charla as a Volunteer!

This afternoon, we were expecting some adolescents to come to the health center so we could give them a charla (presentation) about family planning. I had all of the information that the Peace Corps had given me on my USB and one of the fellow nurses said that she would present the material, which was what I understood and I was completely OK with. 

When everyone showed up, she asked if I was ready and I had the look of terror on my face. WHAT? I have to give the presentation?! She started the presentation off by explaining the importance of family planning and I explained the section about different types of contraceptives.

It was fun, and a little nerve racking, even though I had given the charla before at the health center back in my training town, and I had the physical materials that I had drawn out rather than in a powerpoint presentation that I had put together in about 10 minutes.

We had two nurses, the head of the Casa Adolescencia y Juventud, a representative from the NGO ProFamilia, my colega, about 19 cheválos (Nica slang for "kids") and another volunteer from a Japanese organization called JICA (from what I've heard, it's like their version of Peace Corps). She lives in Ocotal and will be here until January and knows some fellow volunteers, so I hope to collaborate with her a little bit before she leaves!

Next up, we are going to have some meetings to plan a few huertos (vegetable gardens) at the casa materna and ProFamilia with help from kids at the primary schools; a project that the agriculture volunteer from El Carbón is going to help us out with, too! And on Sunday, I have to give another charla to 50 cheválos about adolescent pregnancy.

Wish me luck!

Nery starting the presentation.

Explaining different types of contraceptives. It wasn't that boring, I swear!

We improvised using an empty soda bottle for the condom demonstration.

It was difficult to use the soda bottle, but humorous and good fun all at the same time :)


PS: For those of you who would like to follow my adventures and upcoming projects on Facebook, I have created a page that will document all of that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment